20 October 2009

So far (Day 6) in Afghanistan

Hey everyone,

Where do I begin, I am so tired I cant even think straight. Afghanistan is 8.5 hours ahead of Eastern time in the U.S. I get up every morning around 0400 and get online around 0430. Because at that time it is evening time back in the states and I can talk with anyone and everyone. I am on Skype every morning. Skype is a free service that lets me talk to you like if i was on the telephone or I can video chat with you. All that is required is for someone to get a webcam (used only for video chat), and a microphone. All you have to do is go to Skype.com and download the free software and then add me on your contact list and send me a message. My skype name is "robert.hicks.1985". I leave to got do pt around 0530 or 0600. Then the duty day starts and I am busy busy busy until we get released in the evening. I'm online usually at night here too but at that time its around 11am or 12ish Eastern time and most people are at work or school. I go to bed every night around 830 or 9pm.....lol.....i feel so old.....my parents go to bed at that time :(

To describe the environment here. Everything is dusty. So dusty its hard to breathe. Not to mention that we are around 6000 feet about sea level. Georgia is at the most 1500-2000 feet above sea level and that is in the mountains of North Georgia. So it makes it harder to breathe anyway. Everything is dusty around here.......there is no grass, its either rock or sand, which takes some getting used to. Every U.S. soldier carries a fully loaded weapon everywhere they go, even the latrine (bathroom) and shower and that is a very different thing. Imagine how you would feel about walking up and down the street or even to your mailbox if everyone carried a fully loaded weapon with them all the time. Its not the most comforting thing in the world but at the same time, it is comforting because you have something to defend yourself with, no matter what situation may arise.

The enemy, is uneducated for the most part but at the same time they are very smart. Back in history they have been fighting ever since they became a nation and they have kicked the British's butt a few times along with the Russians. They are a smart enemy and that isnt very comforting.

We are only into day 6 here so, we are still settling in and still waiting to get the remainder of our personal stuff that is in big metal containers called conex's.


If you want my mailing address please email me and I will give it to you. I cant put it on here for security reasons. My email address is robert.hicks.1985@gmail.com or you can facebook me. I am going to try to keep up with writing everyone back as best I can. Important note about mailing things. Postage for mailing stuff over here is the SAME as it would be if you were sending me mail in Atlanta. You do not have to pay international postage on anything including care packages. In fact, if you want to or are planning to send a care package, you dont have to, but the U.S postal service has boxes specifically for APO addresses. You can go and get one, I'm pretty sure the boxes are free but i could be wrong. You can also use your own box if you would rather do that.

*I will be posting a list of things that you can pick and choose from to put into care packages.* Please know that all mail takes around 2 weeks for it to get to me from the time you send it.


I love and miss you all so very much. Your prayers are very much appreciated and they do NOT go unnoticed. I can promise you that. I am so blessed, even in the environment that I am in.

Speaking of blessings.....You should be so thankful that you are an American. Chow isnt bad but its not great.....im already sick and tired of using porta johns, showers.....if you get hot water, you are lucky. You have actual paved roads and your own place to stay. My room (if you wanna call it that) is the size of a twin mattress if you were to take a twin size mattress and turn it around in a circle, you would have a hard time doing it in my little hootch. Hootch is another word for room.

As soon as I get the rest of my personal stuff I will start taking pictures......my camera still hasnt gotten here :(.

There are mountains in every direction around us. We call this place a bowl, the mountains being the sides of the bowl.

I love and miss you all!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear descriptions! What about temperature? I can't wait to send you pics of the boys playing soccer - wow they are too funny! Mom says Grandpa is doing better, whcih is good! The boys are back to being healthy and wild. Conner is Snakeyes and Zach is Stormshadow for Halloween (both from GI Joe as you know). They refer to themselves as the white and black ninja. They are too funny. Be careful, I love you, and know that wherever you are and whatever situation you are in - He knows the plans He has for you!!!!! Be open to His plans Robbie and be ready for His changes in you! I love you! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the APO boxes are free. They also cost a few dollars less to ship than if you get a normal flat rate shipping box. And any flat rate shipping box is going to be significantly cheaper than sending a normal box because then it goes by weight and those things get heavy quick, especially when you're cramming something into every last mm of the box like I do

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are updating your blog - it really helps keep things in perspective! You honor me in serving our country - and all those who are serving along with you! Hurry up and put your list up so I can go shopping!! : )

    Love you bunches and praying for you!!! Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert, I'm a stranger who found your blog by accident. By accident, because my brother just got deployed to Kandahar and arrived Monday, August 9th. He left behind a wife he had married only 4 months ago, not knowing he would receive orders to Afghanistan from Colorado. Everyone is in distress and of couse I am now web site hungry for anything on Kandahar and what it's really like over there. Thank you for your information. My brother is in the army and joined at a time when most other men his age are enjoying the spoils of their office careers. In any event, my heart goes out to you and to all your loved ones. Stay strong and may you come home safely.

    ReplyDelete